Wednesday, September 12

Little Pea


by Amy Krause Rosenthal
illustrated by Jen Corace
Chronicle 2005

Little Pea must eat his candy if he wants to grow up to be big and strong. More importantly, he must eat his candy if he wants his dessert: spinach.

This wisp of a twist on the trials of dinnertime, while cute, feels empty. In order to flesh out the punchline we are shown the daily life of Little Pea and his family, and then later, just to drag it out more, we get a day-by-day description of the different candies he must eat in order to get his reward.

Like I said, cute, but it's the kind of a joke that works better in four or five pages, not 28. James Marshall could have had George and Martha do the exact same thing in a fraction of the words and I would have guffawed. Unfair comparison, to put a cute book against a classic? Tough. I finished this book and immediately went for George and Martha and cleansed my palate.

Because I ate my spinach of cute and needed some real dessert. Am I grouchy this week, or is it just me?

No comments: